Research Programme Head
Louise is an environmental economist with broad range of experience in policy analysis, market transformation and environmental finance. Her technical expertise includes valuation of natural capital and environmental externalities and applying this information in decision-making. She holds a PhD in Environmental Studies specializing in environmental economics and policy from University College Dublin. Louise joined WWF in the Greater Mekong to lead the development of green economy in the regional programme in 2012.
She joined the Luc Hoffmann Institute to work globally on linking the best available science to better policy planning and more effective field practices in conservation. Previously she has worked for United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), UN Convention on Combating Desertification (UNCCD), the UK Environment Agency, and New Forests Asia Ltd.
Louise’s research interests lie in environmental governance and how environmental economics theory and analysis methods contribute to improved public policy in practice, including environmental and land use policy.
PhD, Environmental Studies. School of Geography, Planning and Environmental Policy, UCD Dublin , Ireland (2007).
MSc, Environmental Policy. Department of Environmental Studies, UCD Dublin, Ireland (2002).
BA (Hons), Geography and Economics. Faculty of Arts, UCD Dublin, Ireland (2001).
Peer reviewed journal articles
- Peterson, A., Gallagher, L.A., Huberman, D. and Mulder, I. (2012) Seeing REDD: The Opportunities for a Carbon Sequestration and Biodiversity Conservation Double-Dividend through Reduced Emissions from Deforestation and Forest Degradation (REDD), Journal of Sustainable Forestry, ISTF 2008 special issue, Volume 31, Issue 1-2 pp. 29-58
- Trasande, L., Massey, R., DiGangi, J., Geiser, K., Olanipekun, A.I. and Gallagher, L. (2011) How developing nations can protect children from hazardous chemical exposures while sustaining economic growth Health Affairs December 2011 Vol. 30 (12):2400-2409
- Gallagher, L. and Ferreira, S. (2010) Protest responses and Community Attitudes Toward Accepting Compensation to Host Waste Disposal Infrastructure (April 2010), Land Use Policy 27(2): 638-652
- Gallagher, L., Ferreira, S. and Convery, F.J. (2008) Host community attitudes towards solid waste landfill infrastructure: comprehension before compensation, Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 51(2): 233-257
- Dunne, L., Convery F. and Gallagher, L. (2008) An investigation into waste charges in Ireland, with emphasis on public acceptability, Waste management, doi.10.1016/j.wasman.2008/07/0007
- Gallagher L., Norman, B. and Zuhelke, R. (2013) ‘Matching Supply and Demand in International Payments for Ecosystem Services (IPES)– The case of GreenPalm’ Chapter 9 in Bishop, J. and Hill C.J. (2013) Global Biodiversity Finance: The Case for International Payments for Ecosystem Services, Edward Elgar publishing. Available at: http://www.e-elgar.com/bookentry_main.lasso?id=15412
- Peterson, A., Hill, C.J. and Gallagher, L. (2011) ‘“Balancing Biodiversity”: A Global Instrument for Meeting the 2010 Biodiversity Target’ in Köllner, T. Ecosystem Services and Global Trade of Natural Resources: Ecology, Economics and Policies, Routledge, UK: 225E241
- Dunne, L., Convery, F.J. and Gallagher, L. (2006) Mobilising the market to reduce household waste going to final disposal in Ireland: A preliminary exploration. In M. Murphy (Ed.), The Cost of Waste Disposal, Sherkin Island Marine Station, Cork, Ireland, 2006:17-26
- Korea Environment Institute (2015) ‘Guidelines for the Development of Green Economy Indicators in Developing Countries’ in Greenable: Measuring Progress for Sustainable Development. (Co-Author) Available at: http://www.kei.re.kr/bEng/bBoardAtypeView.kei
- WWF (2014) The Economic Value of Ecosystem Services in the Greater Mekong (Editor). Available at: http://d2ouvy59p0dg6k.cloudfront.net/downloads/report_economic_analysis_of_ecosystemservicesnov2013.pdf
- WWF (2014) Green growth in the Greater Mekong (Lead Author). Available at: http://d2ouvy59p0dg6k.cloudfront.net/downloads/greengrowth_gms_report_march_2014_final.pdf
- WWF (2014) Green economy modelling of ecosystem services in the Dawna Tenasserim Landscape (DTL) along the ‘road to dawei’. (Co-Author) Available at: http://awsassets.panda.org/downloads/final_greeneconomy_tnl_lr.pdf
- CBD (2013) Valuing the biodiversity of dry and subhumid lands Convention on Biological Diversity Technical Series No. 71 (Lead Author). Available at: http://www.cbd.int/doc/publications/cbd-ts-071-en.pdf
- UNEP (2012) Global Chemicals Outlook. Lead author on Pillar II: Economic implications of chemicals production, consumption and disposal trends, United Nations Environment Programme, Geneva. Available at: http://www.unep.org/chemicalsandwaste/Portals/9/Mainstreaming/GCO/Rapport_GCO_calibri_greendot_20131211_web.pdf
- UNEP (2011) Environment for Development Perspectives: Mercury Use in ASGM, UNEP Global Mercury Partnership, United Nations Environment Programme, Geneva. Available at: http://www.unep.org/hazardoussubstances/EnvironmentforDevelopment/tabid/56182/Default.aspx, (Sole Author).
- UNEP (2011) Guidance on the Development of Legal and Institutional Infrastructures for Sound Management of Chemicals and Measures for Recovering Costs of National Administration (LIRA-Guidance), United Nations Environment Programme, Geneva. Available at: http://www.unep.org/chemicalsandwaste/Mainstreaming/LIRAGuidance/tabid/79269/Default.aspx
- UNEP (2011) An Analysis of Economic Instruments in Sound Management of Chemicals (May 2011), United Nations Environment Programme, DTIE Chemicals Branch, Geneva. (Sole author). Available at: http://www.unep.org/chemicalsandwaste/Portals/9/Mainstreaming/LIRA-Country%20Workshop/DevEconInstruments/Economic%20Instruments%20_Survey%20analysis__Final_JM120127b.pdf
- UNEP (2009) Guidance for National Governments on the use of Economic Instruments for Financing Sound Management of Chemicals, United Nations Environment Programme, Geneva. (Sole author). Available at: http://www.unep.org/chemicalsandwaste/chemicalsandwaste/UNEPsWork/Mainstreaming/UNEPLIRAGuidance/Background/DevelopmentofGuidanceonEconomicInstruments/tabid/79273/Default.aspx
- Secretariat to the Basel Convention (2008), ‘Benefits of Action on the Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements’, Proceedings of the First Inter-Ministerial Conference on Health and Environment in Africa, Libreville, Gabon, 26-29 August 2008. (Sole Author).